By Kaitlin Marie
It happens to everyone at some point. We go to college, we get a desk job, we spend the day in a swivel chair and rarely get on our feet, we drive everywhere, we eat fast food too much. Then one day, we step on the scale and see something that shocks us.
This happened to me recently. One of my co-workers keeps a scale at her desk. Out of curiosity (and the fact that I’ve been feeling icky and bloated and flabby lately), I stepped on that little scale of DOOM…
…and I’ve gained about 10 lbs since I came home from Costa Rica.
This really should come as no surprise to me, considering the significant life changes that came with moving back to the States. For starters, I didn’t have a car while I was there, so I walked EVERYWHERE! Also, Costa Rican restaurant menus are much healthier than what we have here. Read: Rice and beans are better for you than a cheeseburger.
BUT since I came back home, I’ve also picked up running again and can churn through three miles like it’s nobody’s business. I try to stretch more and be active. So I was really stunned to see how much weight I’d packed on in the last 6 months. B00.
With as busy as I’ve been in recent few weeks, adding a DIET to my life would be like pulling teeth. (Although, now that I think about it, pulling teeth might be a weight loss solution in itself).
So I’m curious as to what you Kate-book readers do to keep those extra pounds from creeping up on you. Let me tell you what I’m ALREADY doing to be healthy, and then what I want to add in there. Then I’d LOVE to hear your thoughts and opinions on this subject! Please!
Stuff I’m Doing Right Now:
- Running, usually six, but sometimes as many as nine miles a week. I’m looking to expand that sometime soon.
- I’ll stop in the middle of watching a tv show and do 50 to 100 jumping jacks if I feel sluggish. Occasionally, I’ll toss a 30 second plank in there too.
- Drinking only diet soda, unsweetened iced tea, and water. Diet coke is my VICE. I’m trying to cut down on the amount of soda I drink in general, but it’s been rough.
- I don’t keep sweets in my house. Last week I cleaned out my fridge and bought a bunch of fruit and veggies, which is what I have been snacking on lately.
- I’m trying to cut down A LOT on how often I eat out. For a long time I was eating lunch out every weekday. The last week or so, I’ve been eating at home.
- I was ADDICTED to McDonald’s iced coffees, but I haven’t had one in over two weeks. They aren’t TERRIBLE for you, but it was an everyday thing for a while.
Things I’d Like Help With:
- SUPER EASY healthy recipes. I’m a VERY impatient chef. If it takes more than 30 minutes to prepare, it’s not happening.
- Weight/Resistance training. Does anyone have any tips for a beginner???
- Exercise routines that I can do in 30 minutes.
- Exercises that might be considered “fun.” Or, is that asking too much?
- Healthy eating tips and tricks
I’m a little loathe to tell you guys my height and weight, but if you need that info in order to give me advice, leave a note in the comments and I’ll fess up. To be honest, I’m not overweight and my BMI isn’t bad — I just feel unhealthy and out of shape. I want to get back to my effortless Costa Rican weight and have my clothes fit better. I suppose that’s all anyone wants, really.
So Kate-Bookers, tell me how you balance your life and your health and your exercise. What works for you? What didn’t work AT ALL? I love to get advice from others on this stuff, because people only rave about the things that get results. So I can’t wait to read what you have to say on the subject!
(And for further fitness info, check out The Lazy Girl’s Guide to Fitness by fellow Kate-Book writer Kate Richlin-Zack)
My CompliKAITed Life is a column by Kaitlin Marie running on Kate-book.com every other Wednesday at noon. You can read all about Kaitlin’s Zombie Apocalypse plans on her blog Zombies4breakfast.com. Oh, and follow her on Twitter here or on Pinterest here. She pins obsessively.