In March, newsstands will boast two covers featuring famous Kates in their birthday suits. First, Kate Walsh of “Private Practice” stripped down for the cover of Shape magazine, saying “I was terrified, but I really wanted to do a naked cover.” Next, model-of-the-moment Kate Upton took her clothes off for a Marilyn Monroe-inspired cover for Muse magazine.
Not every celebrity out there has the cojones to take it all off for magazine spread. This got me thinking—do people named Kate especially enjoy doing nude photo shoots? After some careful investigation, I believe that this theory might actually hold some water. Here, nine famous Kates who’ve modeled sans clothes for magazine spreads. Click on the thumbnails to look through the images, and read on after the jump to find out the story of each shot.
- Kate Walsh explains that she chose to go naked on the cover of Shape (a) because the idea scared her and (b) to show that, contrary to popular belief, hotness does not evaporate after age 40. “I was terrified, but I really wanted to do a naked cover—especially with Shape, because the magazine is about loving yourself inside and out,” the 44-year-old explained. “Right now, I feel really healthy, confident, and sexy. I’m enjoying my 40s and wanted to share that. Is it a mid-life crisis? I do drive a Porsche, so maybe it is. “
- Kate Upton’s nude cover of Muse magazine is clearly meant to evoke Marilyn Monroe’s so-called “Last Sitting,” which was shot in 1962 by Bert Stern, six weeks before the actress’ death. But this stunning image from inside the magazine actually reminds me more of Carrie Bradshaw in “Sex in the City.” Was this shot in her apartment?
- Katy Perry wore just a pair of fishnets for this image in Rolling Stone magazine in August of 2010, shot by Mark Seliger. Inside the issue, Perry talked about two of her favorite subjects—sex and her ultra religious upbringing. “I am sensitive to Lady Gaga putting a rosary in her mouth,” Perry said, referring to Gaga’s “Alejandro” video. “I think when you put sex and spirituality in the same bottle and shake it up, bad things happen. Yes, I said I kissed a girl. But I didn’t say I kissed a girl while f***ing a crucifix.”
- Kate Winslet posed nude in homage to Catherine Deneuve for Vanity Fair in December 2008, in a spread titled “Isn’t She Deneuvely?” In one of the images, shot by Steve Meisel, Winslet lies on a bed covered by nothing but a fur coat. In another image, she wears a sheer robe, her posterior in full view. For the cover of the magazine, Winslet sat nude in a chair, a trench coat draped over her shoulders. Interestingly, Winslet also appeared naked on the cover of Vanity Fair Italia in 2006, though the image did not appear in the American version of the magazine.
- Kate Moss wore nothing but gold Wonder Woman bangles and loads of black eye liner on this recent cover of Vogue Brasil. The image was shot by Mario Testino, who calls Moss his muse. In fact, he even published a book, “Kate Moss by Mario Testino,” featuring photos of the British bad girl. Moss wrote the foreword, proclaiming, “Mario took me to a new level of glamour. I don’t think anybody had seen me as any kind of sexy model before he did. He was the one that transformed me.” Of course, posing nude is nothing new for Moss. She also appeared naked on the cover of Love Magazine in 2010. She was one of eight supermodels to do so, in an experiment to show “how they differed physically from one another.” Answer: not much. Moss also stripped down for Interview magazine in September of 2008.
- Kate Mara of “American Horror Story” was photographed in the bathtub for a spread in Esquire magazine in January 2009. Someone should really tell her not to wear bangles in the bath! Those things will tarnish. Mara also posed nude in a floppy hat for Jane Magazine in 2007, right before the magazine closed. Sniff.
- Kate Hudson stripped down for the cover of InStyle in September 2001. Is it just me, or does her face look super airbrushed here? Regardless, years later she told MTV News that she loves doing nude photo shoots. “I love doing them and I will do more. It’s fun,” Hudson said. “Also, I’ve come to appreciate the skill of the photographer. It’s a real art.”
- This image of Catherine Zeta Jones is so racy, I was shocked that it appeared in a women’s magazine. But it did—in Allure in 2010, in a spread shot by Michael Thompson for the magazine’s annual “Get a Better Body” issue. The actress explained that she just isn’t cagey about taking her clothes off. “That’s when your dancing days and being in theater pay off,” Zeta-Jones told the magazine. “When you’re doing a quick change, you don’t give a s*** who sees you.” In another image, the star also posed in the shower, covering her breasts with her hands.
- While Kate Beckinsale has never gone fully nude in a magazine, she did pose in just a pair of knickers when Esquire declared her the Sexiest Woman Alive in 2009. Beckinsale has vowed never to do a nude scene in a film, either, as she was traumatized by her mom doing one when she was a kid. “My mum was an actress, and she did a nude scene on television when I was about 9 or 10, and the crisis I had when everyone came to school the next day and told me they’d seen my mother naked just makes me kind of, you know,” she has said. “I’m not in a big rush to do that to my child. She’s embarrassed enough that I’m an actress at all, without me being naked as well.”
Which photo here is your favorite?